Sunday, January 27, 2008

Weird flute combo - bamboo headjoint (mouthpiece) on a metal flute

 The Bis Key Chronicles: Gandalfe buys a Shakulute!

Oddly, it mostly sounds like a regular flute. I imagine you hold it like a sax.

This guy, Jim Glass, is my old boss.

5 comments:

  1. why bother if it just sounds like a regular flute? Unless you've got poor positioning and you're starting to get torticollis from playing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It might be slightly easier to play. I was never great at the embouchure part of the flute. I took flute class as my woodwind in college. I never took to it. I did like playing the recorder though.

    But yeah. I was expecting a little more difference. I guess most of the tone comes from the metal tube.

    ReplyDelete
  3. But it looks like you blow into it the same? That opening is awfully wide to play like a recorder. Or am I wrong?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh. Maybe you're right. I thought it was like a recorder, which Jim mentions but then later he says you blow it like a bottle.

    I think that makes it even weirder that it doesn't sounds more different, doesn't it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh. Maybe you're right. I thought it was like a recorder, which Jim mentions but then later he says you blow it like a bottle.

    I think that makes it even weirder that it doesn't sounds more different, doesn't it.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.