Saturday, December 8, 2007

Switching to a Mac article

Fav asked me to post this to the blog. Here ya go:

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/columnist/edwardbaig/2007-12-05-mac_N.htm

IMHO, Switching to the Mac won't be any easier than switching to Vista for the user. And anything hardware related will be easier.

As I said in the group, his monitor is not likely to work because it is an analog connection not a digital. It would have to be one of these:

http://www.networktechinc.com/dvi.html

His keyboard and mouse are not likely to work because they are round (PS/2) not rectangular (USB). I can get him the microsoft keyboard and mouse everyone likes.

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/mouseandkeyboard/productdetails.aspx?pid=081

4 comments:

  1. Who's HO is the one referencing MHO? Favs or BB?

    Which hardware will be easier? Mac or PC?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's the humble opinion of Big Brother

    ReplyDelete
  3. However, Fav did send the article along for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In Fav's HO, oddly enough I just happened to see the article in the USA Today ("see" it had pictures lol) (USA Today shows how smart I am, not the Webster Times lol).
    Switching to Vista I agree will be difficult, we have a few laptops at work and I hate when I have to use them.
    I have used MAC before and I did not find it to be too difficult to get around.
    I was a win98 user for a long time until I finally gave into XfriginP but I have it set up in classic format so I don't notice a big change. I don't know if Vista has this option, and from what BB says, Microsoft might not know either ;-).
    We are discussing the easy of use, but what does Big Red use it for. Email and..........cricket noise here......solitaire. I don't know of any/many programs that he uses.
    For a price point I have an older tower here that he, or any one, could have. It has a pentium III, dvd, cd rw....I got a new one just to keep up with the gaming world. BUT (big butt) it is again a BIG tower and I also have a 17 or 19 inch CRT with it. So now that is using up a lot of desk space and he would need a new desk or new home for the PC.
    I forgot where I was in this rant..
    In closing.
    Have we thought about a laptop, that he could leave on the already cluttered table, with a wireless network and maybe a network printer?
    I remember know..I don't think that Big Red will have trouble switching to a MAC or Vista or XP. The isse might be getting what he programs that he does use now and getting them onto a new computer, this may involve him purchaseing newer versions or MAC versions of slide tiles and Majhong.
    I forget where this started from but if I remember correctly Dad has expressed interest in a new computer and to get off dial-up. Is that it? We, the syblings, have gone into what platform to use and style? What did Dad use at Randy Whitney, it could have been MAC.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.