Saturday, August 11, 2007

Pre-cancer - paging Dr. Nicole

Both Christine and Nicole said of a dark patch of skin on my face, "you should have that looked at." That was last year. I don't know how long it's been there but it's been awhile so I ignored them.

This summer Amy said, "that a thing looks different. You should have it looked at."

I had it looked at. My main Dr sent me to a dermatologist because it was on my face. She did a biopsy. The lab called and told me that it was a pre-cancerous actinic keratosis. I should make a follow-up with the derma doc and she will freeze it off.

Fortunately, I called Nicole and she explained what a pre-cancerous actinic keratosis is. Because, it sounds pretty damn serious for them to be so cavalier about it.

It is solar (actinic) damage (keratosis - latin for skin smootz) that has a higher chance than other skin of becoming cancerous. Looks like it has a 10% higher chance according to what I read. Well, I had the follow-up, and they froze it with liquid nitrogen. I've had that done before. It's not a big deal. Seriously, you could do it at home.

So, it's official. We are fair-skinned and prone to sun damage that can turn into cancer. Congratulations. If you see something funky on your face or any other sun-facing area, have it looked at, especially if 'moi' or "kid-roller' say so.

4 comments:

  1. There's no R in kid-rolla bro. You of all people should know that, you started it.

    Kids you all should be going to a dermatologist once a year to once every 3 years (depending on how the first visit turns out). Ask them for a mole check, and the night before (or morning of if you have time) get out a ballpoint pen. Have your loved one circle anything that looks suspicious, especially in places you aren't looking...your back, your bum, the back of your arms and legs. Even your feet and especially the back of your neck and around your ears. That way there's a neon sign for your doc in the event you can't remember them all.

    Go, now, make the phonecall.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ESPECIALLY all you crazy cats who spent many a summer basking in the rays on Carbuncle Pond.

    As part of my summer health care routine, I finally made the call in July. Dermo's are, apparently, notoriously busy, so I won't get in to see anyone until Sept. at which time it will interfere once again with my schedule.

    Next time, I'll call in January.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The thing about dermo is that they are all doing botox and non-surgical beauty treatments. It's a huge market and a way to make some money. Apparently a family practice is not very lucrative. Inject botox however and you got yourself a cash machine.

    I gave feedback that it's not a great experience for a dude. They replied, "are you still here?"

    ReplyDelete
  4. It doesn't seem to matter which doc's office you swing by (tho the dermo may be one of the worst), they're all so heavily scheduled that both the patient and the physician are feeling compromised.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.